Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rooks

Tom, a long-time (and hard to please when it comes to Blazer matters) friend, writes:

>>As a total Duck fanatic and life long follower of Pac 10 basketball I'm very glad to see us get Brandon Roy even if he is a Husky. He probably is the best all around player in the draft. While averaging 20pg he also contributed 4.1pg in assists and 5.6pg in rebounds. Throw in a guy who shoots over 50% from the field and 80% from the line and I'm still surprised he went at number six.

Beyond the stats I like his maturity. He played all four years at UW and is an articulate and intelligent young man who wanted the ball in the crunch and usually made it. I also see him as a potential team leader as he was in college where his team had some nice runs in March Madness and played some tough non-conference foes as well. And did I mention he can defend too?<<

I am enthused about Roy too. In fact I find myself more excited to see him play than Aldridge even, perhaps because his label of "most ready for the NBA" allows me to have a little higher expectations of him. But that brings up an interesting question to weigh in on (or as School Marm would put it, "upon which to weigh in"...oh wait, it ends with a preposition either way, doesn't it...can't win):

Based on what you've read, heard, seen, or know, who are you more excited about acquiring, Lamarcus Aldridge or Brandon Roy? Why?

I confess that I know fairly little more than the basics about either, so you'll have to help me out. Fire away in the comment section or by e-mail.

--Dave (blazersub@yahoo.com)

10 Comments:

Blogger Scott R said...

the choice for me is easy, Dave. I am far and away more excited about seeing Brandon Roy suit up. The first reason is that he seems genuinely excited about being a Blazer. To me that is very important to building a quality team. You need players who want to play for you. Second, I believe he is going to be a tremendous floor leader which our team has been lacking since Sheed left(j/k...more like since TP left). LaMarcus has a big detractor for me which is he is from Texas. I LOATHE Texas and everything about it. I know it is petty, but i pretty much am just sick and tired of hearing about how everything in Texas is so much better. Well, if it is that much better why do I meet so many people everywhere from Texas that aren't going back? WHY???? If it's that great, GO BACK. They are also over rated in every sport. Their football team was just one player, their baseball team likes to tank, and their basketball team...well, let me say this: they never live up to the hype. But, hopefully i can get over my prejudice and like the guy. He does seem to have a lot of talent in him and maybe Coach Lucas can teach him how to use it all.

4:12 PM  
Blogger ignacio said...

Oh, I can't choose. Sorry but this is just an artificial question for me. They're both very, very promising, intriguing rookies. Roy looks like he'll be better sooner, but Aldridge might be excellent in time.

I was and remain overwhelmed. These look the best guys in the draft.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

LOL...All off-season questions are kind of "artifical" if you want to look at them that way. The thing is, I have yet to see a lot of Aldridge champions and I'm wondering if they're out there. Although he was picked first he almost seems to be the silent partner in all this.

--Dave

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Lance Uppercut said...

I'm more excited to see Aldrige, in that I've already seen Roy play many times. I also think that Aldrige is going to surprise people with how "NBA ready" he is come tiop-off of the 2006/07 season

8:32 PM  
Blogger ignacio said...

I saw some film of Aldridge shooting a sky hook and this intrigues me a great deal. Lance may well be right.

3:27 AM  
Blogger BLAZER PROPHET said...

Actually, neither. While I was very pleased we got two consensus top-5 picks, I can easily see either (or both) of these players having mediocre careers. Neither one is a true "can't miss" type. On the other hand, either (or both) could have outstanding careers. My thinking is, as Abe Lincoln stated, 'we shall see what we shall see'.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Scott R said...

spoken like a true prophet. I like the quote.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous fatty said...

prophet we agree on 2 statements
1)they'll be just fine,2)these
are just pieces to the puzzle
chad ford said it beast today
on his chat oden in 07,me
personally i'll take noah in 07
but gang enjoy the 57-65 losses
this season and wait until 5/22/07
1 of the greatest day in blazers history !!!!!!

10:49 AM  
Blogger BLAZER PROPHET said...

Fatty, I really wonder how we will od next year and if we will have a stab at Oden. He's having wrist surgery and may not be ready for the NBA until after his sophmore season.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous fatty said...

are you serious about ms.spears'in vanity fair, just great another
black eye for the organization
is she that glamourous to pose
naked for a magazine cover, why
is'nt canzano or quick trying
to stop her, what's pricthard
or patterson saying about this
can anybody stop her from
embarrassing the organization
what about you dave anyone not
now,why the hell did they hire
her knowing she's that glamourous
is p.allen saying anything
about this, the last thing i
need is s.a.smith talking about
our chief scout posing nude
pregnant on the cover of
vanity fair, just when things
were looking up now this crap
unbelievable only in portland
where the head scout is a
great looking woman who's posing
nude for vanity fair a crushing
blow for the entire organization..

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home