Thursday, June 29, 2006

More Reaction

As I read through the morning's reaction from fans and columnists alike I couldn't help but be struck by what a big and weird day yesterday was in terms of people's perception of the team. I know I've used this analogy before, but it's appropriate: The WWE couldn't have scripted something this radical. Steve Patterson turns from heel to babyface. John Canzano turns from heel to face also. (How did they both manage that at the same time?) Paul Allen makes a similar turn. Kevin Pritchard goes from questionable guy to the consensus next GM. Adam Morrison goes from the #1 headline to a footnote in history. Around here I reverse the trend by turning from babyface into (I hope temporary) heel. And Fatty, the new rising star around here, writes in the comment section that this is the "renaissance" of the Blazers, which is both uncharacteristically positive and shockingly multisyllabic for him.

I feel like the legendary Joe Schmoe when I say, "What is going ON here???" Isn't it amazing how quickly things can change?

Jorga offers her usual sensible and important thoughts by e-mail:

>>I just hope that the fans will be patient. It's pretty exciting getting two lottery picks - we have to remember this is just a so-so draft. I am just afraid that if we don't start off playing .500 ball that the fans are going to start griping again.<<

I agree that we're going to have trouble winning in the short term and I also agree about the caution about the draft. It'll take a while for the youngsters to develop and when they do I'd be more than happy if they turned out to be solid starters. I'm not expecting miracles. I do hope that this good feeling lasts longer than just the draft buzz and I hope the fans give the team an honest chance over the next couple of years. What we saw yesterday was the light at the end of the tunnel...or maybe the first faint possibility of light...but we're hardly out of the tunnel yet. There's a lot to be excited about but a lot of work to be done also.

--Dave (blazersub@yahoo.com)

P.S. I was just messing with you, Fatty. You are one of the best characters in this motley group and a budding superstar. I bet you dollars to doughnuts one day we're going to see a Fatty Blog. It'll be super long with very narrow margins. I look forward to it...

6 Comments:

Anonymous fatty said...

dave thank-you for the kind
words,as far as a bad start
that's the plan,get a top 3
pick in next year's draft
see dave and fellow blazers
fans the blazers have 2
budding stars in roy,martell
but next year's draft is
the jackpot 3 superstar centers
in oden,noah, and the wild card
hansborough from n.carolina
pricthard knows get a top 3
pick and walla a dynamo just
like the bucky buckwater days
a reinassance in blazer history
begins now !!!! enjoy the ride
blazer fans, i'll see next
spring at the rose !!!
see you in the chat dave !!!!

12:34 PM  
Blogger jojack said...

see dave, i told you; you just have to think these things through. it appears we did pretty well when all was said and done. pritchard's chat on o-live was very informative. i'm completely with gil scott-fatty, (look it up dave; the blazer revolution will not be televised!), you have to look at 07 as the key to this sweet little nucleus we have put together. jack, roy, webster, aldridge, oden. dynasty baby!!!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger jojack said...

ps; props the the fat one on the bucky buckwalter take.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Perhaps...I haven't heard the Pritchard chat yet so I can't comment on that, but I always assumed there was some rational justification for the trades. (Hopefully Pritch shed some light.) But we also overpaid...however justified it might have been in the eyes of management and fans. And if other teams think they can jack a player or a million bucks off us (that's the figure I heard on ESPN anyway) by threatening to take our picks we're in for a long few years of drafting. Though it happens, this is not that common of an occurance and it better be rare for the Blazers.

Of course all of this will be moot if we can manage to get the #1 pick next year...

--Dave

6:55 PM  
Blogger BLAZER PROPHET said...

Whether or not we resign Joel and assuming we remain healthy, I forsee Portland winning 32-35 games next year and probably being out of the running for Oden. I was hoping (and still do) that in our various manuvers we could have snagged an unconditional 1st round pick from a team like Charlotte for next year and greatly increasing our chances of having that top pick.

As to a dynasty being built, I doubt it. With the salary cap, free agency and radio & print media working overtime to paint as negative an image for this team as possible to local fans... we are building a good little team, but no dynasty.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I guess we have to see how the dust settles with the other players before we can tell what next year's team will look like.

I will say that the media basically gives people what they want. Notice the spin has already started more positive since the emotional rush of the draft. So I don't think you have to worry about them getting in the way of potential success. If the team's winning that much someday the fans will just ignore whatever the columnists say.

--Dave

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home