Monday, June 26, 2006

More Mychal

If you have not heard it, you really should listen to the Mychal Thompson podcast from Eric Marentette's O-Live blog today. The link takes you to the download page. Click on Mychal's name to download it. It's an amazing, AMAZING interview and, as Eric himself said, quite passionate. (And I'm not just saying that because this blog got referenced.) The basketball talk was great and Mychal's Blazer spirit and love for Portland really showed through. Trust me...just listen, then write me and tell me again why this guy isn't already part of the organization, especially part of the broadcast team. Also see if you don't get a little bit of that "old school" Blazer feeling again.

Oh, and if you appreciate the work, don't forget to shoot Mr. Marentette a note of thanks.

--Dave (blazersub@yahoo.com)

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott R said...

i just can't get over what a homer Mychal is. I guess he'll give his loyalty to whoever signs his paycheck, which unfortunately is the lakers right now. It is nice to hear him praise the city of Portland as he did, but it still makes me wonder if it is genuine praise or if he is just saying what he knows the listeners want to hear. Regardless, i'd like to see him back up in Portland as you suggest and I think it would be a great boost for the Blazers PR staff.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous jorga said...

I thought it was interesting that he said he'd do the contacting [of Terry Porter] - has he? Because of that enthusiasm it's seems like he might be a good owner - especially since he reference Weinberg & Glickman as guys who knew what was right for Portland.

Speaking of Terry - has there been an announcement of his hiring as an assistant coach of whatever team that was? If so, I've missed it.

And to Scott : I'm loyal to whomever signs my paycheck. It's part of the deal. If I can't give them my loyalty then I'm outta there. Do like your idea as Mychal as PR staff. I can't imagine any reason he'd fake that enthusiasm for Portland - but maybe I'm easy.

Dave: what are the lengths of the contracts of the broadcast team and do you know if Mychal was considered for those openings last year?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

The Blazers have the broadcast guys on one year contracts. All of them. It's one of the stupidest policies in all the league, all but guaranteeing that no self-respecting broadcaster would ever come here if he had another choice. Wheeler and Rice stay because they've been here a while (though Wheels interviews other places each summer). Barrett and Harvey stay because they wouldn't be hired elsewhere.

Since Mychal says he hasn't been contacted since he left I assume he was not considered. Nor would he sign a one-year deal I'm sure. But the Blazers should break that rule for him. (Probably Wheeler too.)

--Dave

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home